What is Zoning?
Zoning can regulate the use of land; size, height, bulk, erection, removal and use of structures; areas and dimensions of lots, yards, open spaces & separation distances between structures; density of population and intensity of use; and protection of natural resources and agricultural land.
The purpose of zoning is to:
- To promote health, safety, morals and general welfare;
- To promote coordinated, orderly, harmonious and practical community development;
- To discourage the intermixture of incompatible land uses and, where such intermixture may be beneficial or where zoning district boundaries present transitions between incompatible uses, to control impacts of incompatible uses;
- To lessen congestion and promote public safety and convenience on roads and highways;
- To secure safety from fire, disaster, panic, pollution hazards and other dangers;
- To provide adequate light and air;
- To prevent the overcrowding of land;
- To avoid undue congestion of population;
- To facilitate the adequate provision of housing, commercial and industrial development, transportation, water, sewer, schools, parks and other public requirements;
- To establish reasonable standards to which buildings and development shall conform;
- To protect and enhance the value of land.
Below is a list of municipalities in Mercer County that have locally adopted Zoning ordinances. Presently, 30 out of 48 (63%) municipalities in Mercer County have zoning.
Municipalities in Mercer County WITH locally adopted Zoning Ordinances